Spoon bread is prevalent to the South. There used to be a Spoon Bread Festival every year in September in Berea, Kentucky. Boone Tavern in Berea is famous for its spoon bread.  Spoon bread is eaten with a spoon or fork and so good slathered with butter. The bread is made with cornmeal and this recipe is for basic spoon bread.  Some people add cheeses, green onions, chives or even corn to the recipe.

3/4 cup cornmeal
2 cups hot milk (I use 2%)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
Heat the milk on top of the stove until hot (do not boil).  Add cornmeal and continue cooking for about 3 or 4 minutes until thickens.  Remove from heat and mix in the butter and salt.  Let cool for about 15 minutes. While the cornmeal is cooking separate the eggs into two different bowls.  Beat egg yolks and egg whites separately.  Make sure you beat whites until stiff.  Once cornmeal is cooled, add egg yolks mixing with a spoon.  Fold in whites and spoon mix.  Pour into a 1 1/2 quart sprayed baking dish and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until brown on top and center is cooked.  Makes 6 servings.  Enjoy!
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.
Be sure and PIN for later: the-southern-lady-cooks-southern-spoon-bread
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.
Attention Fans

1. My grandmother’s recipe does not separate the eggs. Always good, puffs up like a souffle. She grew up in southern Delaware. I put individual servings in the freezer, thaw overnight, warm it in the microwave and top it with a poached egg. So good!

2. Unfortunately this year the spoonbread festival is cancelled. Too many cry babies complained about the confederate flag being sold. So it’s done.

3. I have lived in North Mississippi in a rural area…church potlucks, women’s luncheons, etc. all of my life, and I have never heard of ‘Spoonbread’. I can’t wait to try this!

4. Should you refrigerate any leftover spoon bread?

5. I think you mean to beat the eggs while the cornmeal is cooling, not cooking.

6. If I use a 2 qt dish, do I just adjust the cooking time since it will be a little thinner?

You might cook it a few minutes less or try it with less time. I would just cook it till it is nice and brown on top.

7. Ur spoon bread is so beautiful. For the outcome to be as delicious looking as you have pictured, do I have to bake it in a bowl like you have pictured, or can I use a rectangular baking dish as well? I will be trying your delicious looking recipe today.

8. Judy, have you ever tried this in a crockpot? I wonder whày adjustments would be needed…

9. How do I print the recipes I want to try?

Look at the bottom of the recipe and you will see a small printer icon, click on that and you can remove the photo and any text you don’t want and print just the recipe. You can also click the other buttons there to share on Facebook, Pinterest, e-mail, etc.

10. Joe Dan Draffen says:

Could I add Sugar to this? If so How much would you think? I add sugar to my cornbread as well. In fact my cornbread is 50/50 corn meal and Flour. It’s more like corn cake

11. Melba Tichenor says:

I love all of your recipes, thanks a lot!!

12. I want to know if you can add cream corn to this recipe and would you change anything if you do? All the other recipes I saw had corn in it but yours looks better
    Thanks Gloria.

I cannot advise you Gloria. I don’t add corn to mine. All I can tell you is try and see how it comes out.

13. Kathy Taylor says:

I am assuming this is like a very light, fluffy cornbread????? My biggest complaint about cornbread is that it is so dense and heavy…

14. Can’t wait to try this …sound so good Thanks for all the recipes !

15. I made spoon bread when I was a young bride way back in the fifties. I enjoyed trying new recipes and had always lived in New York state. I’m sure it was different but am going to try yours. I have lived it Florida for almost thirty years.

16. Never had spoonbread before so I decided to make it as a side dish with dinner tonight. Love it! Even my nine yr old son loves it, which is a miracle because he is such a picky eater. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

17. I haven’t had this since the mid 60’s. The first time Mom made it, I took a piece to eat with me while I was out playing with friends….it was that good!!

18. Hi- found your site thru FB and this recipe for spoonbread. I’ve lived in Louisiana most of my life. I’d heard of spoonbread but never seen a recipe. I’m going to make it to go with our Easter ham and candied sweet potatoes. Thanks for posting it.

19. I can’t believe all the people that have never heard of this! It must be something that has faded away with all the processed food now. Shame!

20. Jacqueline Helt says:

Plain or self rising meal?

21. Growing up my neighbors Grandma used to make something called “hoecake”. She baked it in the oven in a cast iron skillet. It was delicious. Could this be the same thing?

22. I’ve lived in the South all my life and I’ve never heard of it. Does it taste similar to cornbread??

Yes, it does but it is lighter in texture.

• Doreen Littleton says:

I lived in the south all my life too and never heard of this. Love cornbread and corn fritters. Have to try this. I guess the beaten egg whites is what makes it lighter.

23. Rosetta McFadden says:

I was raised on spoon bread. It’s hard to believe anyone from the South has not even heard of spoon bread. Have they heard about corn meal mush?

• I lived in the South (Tennessee) until I moved to Texas at the age of 38 and I’ve never heard of spoon bread but I have heard of corn meal mush. My parents and grandparents never made spoon bread but they did make corn meal mush. Maybe it is popular in some parts of the South and not in other parts.

24. My mom always used 2 cups. self rising flour, 1 cup of milk or water maybe 1 teaspoon of sugar. Grease iron skillet,pour n bake until top is golden brown. Spread butter over top.

• I’ve never tried it without cornmeal, Pam. I’ll have to give your way a try!

• That is a completely different bread not spoon bread. Spoon bread is always made with meal. A well know college in central KY, Berea College has a restaurant called Boone Tavern (no alcoholic beverage served–a dry community) where spoonbread is served each evening as a side dish. In September the community has a festival called the Spoonbread Festival. Spoonbread will be available both at the Boone Tavern and at the park in another part of town. There will be several events that weekend to celebrate this festival. Berea is about 45 miles south of Lexington, KY and has a history dating back to the Civil War. Many crafts will be featured during this week throughout the town.

25. I just stumbled across your site via FB. Can this be made ahead and warmed up in the microwave?
    We are having a carry in at church in a couple of weeks that’s featuring Southern cooking and would love to take this!

26. Making this for breakfast tomorrow:) Thanks

27. My husband and I were dining at the Wayside Inn of 1797 many years ago, in Middletown, VA and a lone diner had ordered spoon bread for a side dish with his dinner and asked the waitress if she would offer some to us. She explained that he was a regular guest and just wanted to share with us since their portion was very generous. We loved it. It is a comfort food, for sure, and that fact that we were introduced to it in a lovely old inn by a generous and thoughtful patron only adds to the memory of our first time tasting spoon bread. I look forward to trying this tasty recipe.

28. Would loveto be on this sight “”Good Food”” &””friends “””

29. Ok, I hope I’m not the only wanting to know this, (please, don’t laugh) but, is spoon bread served on the side or as dessert like bread pudding?

It is served both ways. It is great with greens, pork or fried chicken and some people serve it as a dessert as well.

• I tell people it’s like the polenta of the US south. Love me some spoon bread!! I used to buy it in a mix, super easy and good but I can’t find the mix anymore. I’m sure this homemade recipe is better and I can’t wait to try it!

30. what do you do with the egg yolks?

31. Spoon bread can be savory OR sweet. Try leftovers heavily buttered and drizzled with maple syrup…

32. I am so happy to have found you! You are amazing to share your passion. Have a blessed day my southern lady friend!

33. Linda D Wood says:

Thanks so much for this recipe. My sister-in-law & I were discussing spoon bread just the other day & was wondering how it was made. They had served it at the nursing home where my mother is at & she loved it! So I just made her a copy of recipe for us both!

34. Susan Dillon says:

I love spoon bread and so did my father. He used to make it out of a box until I would make him a homemade batch like his mother used to make. I will have to try this recipe with the egg whites. It sounds really good!

35. BJ Ferland says:

Hi! I am from the South but have never heard of Spoonbread either. I am confused as to whether it is savory or is to be used, say, with berries or ice cream? Thank you for sharing your recipes. I really appreciate them!! 🙂 Barb

36. Jacqueline says:

I’m from Australia, but have been living in New Orleans for about 18 months. I LOVE Southern cooking – it forced me to learn to cook, because I couldn’t eat food in Australian restaurants after visiting the South. Thanks for this recipe, it looks almost like a desert but I guess you eat it as a savory dish? (I relate to what Donna Reed said about gaining a few pounds…oops). 🙂

• Hi! So glad you loved Southern Comfort food! Spoonbread is usually served savory or at breakfast (like a toast replacement) because its made with cornmeal, but can be made as a desert too! My great grandmother used to serve it with a molasses sauce, yummy!

37. I hate to be picky, but does it matter if I use white or yellow cornmeal? Thank You! You are my favorite recipe site! Love it!

38. Wow. All my life in the South surrounded by amazing cooks and wonderful food and have never heard of this, much less had it! Thank you for the recipe. I will make it very soon!

39. I/My family LOVE your recipes – we have put on a few more pounds but everyone loves coming to my house for Sunday dinners – it makes family time that much better! Your spoon bread will be served this Sunday 🙂 Keep posting and thanks again for all do – I know it takes time doing this – we really appreciate YOU!!!
    Love from Yorktown, VA

40. Cora Lea Gaither says:

Spoonbread would be good on a flip flop. It is wonderful and is great with any meal. The Wise Inn in Wise, Virginia (just 18 miles from my home in Kentucky made the most delicious spoonbread and it sounds like this recipe. I will definitely try itl.

41. Dee Hun-Thomas says:

I’m gonna make this tonight!!! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!! You’re the best!

42. This sounds so good!! Gonna make it this weekend! THNX

43. SallyVlietstra says:

I made your spoon bread and oatmeal pancakes this weekend. Both were very delicious. I have used a different spoonbread recipe in the past, but this one is much better! I’m looking forward to trying barley side dish and mashed potato pancakes. Glad I found your site.

44. Eight years in the South and we JUST had this at a party. It’s wonderful. Can’t wait to try yours.

45. Jean Sibley says:

I will surely try this tomorrow, how do you make cornmeal hoecake?

46. I’m so excited to try this recipe. I live up North and have never heard of Spoon Bread before. I’ve tried many recipes from your site, which were all so delicious. I just want to thank you for sharing with all of us.

47. Kathy Lanier says:

48. I had heard of spoon bread but never checked into the recipe till today.
    I plan to make it and with its various additions. Thank you very much.

49. Love your posts and recipes!!! Am 67, a suthun’ lady thru and thru, and have never had this recipe!!! Will give it a ‘go’ tho–thanks again!!! Angie Cox from Mississippi!!

50. I have spent my whole life in the South and had never heard of spoonbread until I attended Berea College. I wonder if there are only a few pockets of spoonbread Southerners?

• It’s very prevalent in Eastern KY and surrounding areas. Being from KY even other areas of the state it becomes uncommon unless someone has family that makes it. It may be common in some other areas/states as well, but in my experience it stems from poorer areas where cornmeal is the choice. Potatoe breads are common too here and both are delicious!

51. This is a recipe I’ve wanted to have for a while… it sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

52. Very interesting Southern! bread…..thanks for sharing. Pinning!

53. Helen Cleland says:

I miss you on Facebook. What happened?

54. Bet this would be good with little beans and red eye gravy.

55. Bill Cloud says:

My wife and I want to thank you for all these wonderful recipes. They are really greatand my wife makes good use of tham. Thanks a million.

Bill Cloud