Sweet Potato Banana Bread - TSLC

This sweet potato banana bread is so good. It freezes well and keeps in the refrigerator for several days. We love it with coffee for breakfast and as a snack anytime. This bread makes a great gift, too.

1 large sweet potato, cooked, peeled and mashed or 1 cup (You could probably use canned, too, but I have not tried it.)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil (I used Canola)
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey (Optional)
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup nuts of your choice (I used pecans)
Combine sweet potatoes, white sugar, brown sugar, oil, bananas, vanilla, whiskey and eggs in a large bowl mixing well with a spoon.  Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well with a wire whisk.  Mix the two together with a spoon.  Pour into a sprayed loaf pan and top with nuts.  (This will make one large loaf or two small loaves). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until center is done or about 40 minutes.  Enjoy!
 Don’t Forget to Pin!  sweet-potato-banana-bread
Don’t miss these bread recipes:
 Blueberry Cinnamon Monkey Bread
Blueberry Ginger Bread
Buttermilk Chocolate Bread
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of the page.  You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 26,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Doreen Runyon says:

Could I use baby food sweet potatoes? I have a carrot cake recipe that uses baby food carrots and they are soooo moist.

You can try it Doreen. I never have tried it myself. I don’t see why it would not work though.

• Doreen Runyon says:

Thank you for getting back to me. I just made banana bread last week but love sweet potatoes and will have to try your recipe first and then maybe try it with the baby food sweet potatoes. Do you use really ripe bananas when you make bread or use them when they’re still yellow skinned? I always use them really ripe for more intense banana flavor but didn’t know if it mattered.

Mine are usually really ripe, too, Doreen.

2. Can You use self rising flour and forgo the baking powder and soda

3. This bread is so fantastic. Everyone loved it! I put in spiced rum since that’s what I had, really good. I had a very large sweet potato and extra bananas so I ended up tripling the recipe and making several mini loaves which I gifted to friends and family. My 2 1/2 yr granddaughter kept saying “Mo, MiMa, Mo!!”! Two thumbs up and 5 stars.

4. I think that pumpkin (not pie filling) could probably be substituted for the sweet potato….

5. Don’t forget the diabetics…what could I use to replace the sugar and how much?

6. Christine Bryant says:

Can’t get the printer icon to work, get a “broke X” symbol.

I just tried it on this post with no problem Christine. Try clicking on the name of the recipe and then going to the bottom of the page and clicking on the printer icon.

7. Leslie Guild says:

This sounds sooooo good.

8. Darrelyn Cowan Kelley says:

This Sweet Potato Banana Bread is wonderful!! I love the tastes of the bananas & sweet potatoes combined. Thanks for sharing!

9. Ellie Davis says:

The recipe doesn’t tell you how much sweet potatoe to use ??

10. Pingback: SWEET POTATO BANANA BREAD | The Lone Writer: Shannon Yarbrough

11. This looks really good . I’ll be pinning this one.

12. I bet yhe house smelled so good after baking that.

13. Sherla Ashby-Hampton says:

Trying it now. I can’t wait to take it to school tomorrow and share with my coworkers.

14. I have a very similar recipe but instead of the sweet potato, it has a small can of crushed pineapple (Hawaiian style). It’s called Doctor Bird Cake (I have no idea why, the recipe was passed down to me). It will last for weeks in the fridge! And, freezes well too. It’s nice to be able to make regional plays on an original recipe.

15. this sounds wonderful