Banana Croquettes or Banana Salad - Copy (2)Banana croquettes are considered a salad in most Kentucky homes.  Growing up in Kentucky most people know about banana croquettes.  Pot lucks, church socials, family reunions and holidays usually called for this banana dish served in some form or fashion.  There are so many ways to make banana croquettes but they are all good.  If you have not heard of or tried this treat you are missing out.

4 or 5 firm bananas (not overly ripe) peeled and sliced lengthwise, then cut in half.  You can cut them in chunks as well to make bite-sized pieces
2 eggs
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons milk or cream (I use evaporated milk)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 cups crushed peanuts
Whisk together eggs, vinegar, sugar, milk and cornstarch.  Cook on top of the stove until thickens. Let dressing cool.  Dip banana pieces in cooked dressing or coat with a brush and sprinkle or roll in the peanuts.  Serve on a bed of lettuce.
(Note:  Some people use regular mayonnaise or miracle whip and then roll the banana pieces in peanuts.  I like the cooked dressing.  You can also add peanut butter to the dressing and then roll in nuts or coconut.  Some people use corn flakes instead of the nuts.  They are good however you “fix” them)  I put my peanuts in a plastic bag and crush with the rolling pin.
Leave a comment with your way to make this treat if you have a different one.
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. My mom grew up in Bardstown KY and this recipe we had on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Her recipe was used with bananas broken in half, rolled in dressing and then rolled in crushed peanuts.
    4 eggs
    1 cup vinegar
    1 cup water
    2 teas prepared mustard
    3 tab flour or 4 1/2 teas cornstarch
    1 cup sugar

Beat eggs well – add flour, mustard and beat again. Add water, vinegar, sugar and beat well. Cook over medium heat – stirring constantly until bubbly. Add sugar if too sour.

2. Melanie Nelms says:

From Bardstown KY. We use miracle whip with sugar and apple cider vinegar. My Aunt uses crushed cereal (Like corn flakes) instead of peanuts but I love the peanuts best. The Croquettes are a staple in all our Thanksgiving meals…all across the US! My Montana friends were not sure about them but it’s always love at first bite. My Ballard family always cuts the nanners in half or thirds. Yummy!

3. Kathy Clements says:

Grew up and live in Bardstown Ky. Banana croquettes have always been on our table. My recipe is mayo thinned with a little milk and add granulated sugar, chop the peanuts finely, coat the halved bananas in the mayo mixture then roll in nuts, refrigerate and devour!

4. Cathy King says:

Grew up in Russell Springs, KY and we ate these every chance we got!! Miracle Whip was used. My Dad was raised in Russell Springs and my Mom was from St. Francis in Marian County.

• Bonnie Goldgerg says:

Mom always substituded whit brown sugar instead of white. Gave them a little different taste. My aunt liked to use the mayo version

5. These are delicious. They were always a daily treat on the salad bar at the University of Mississippi, Ole Miss. I grew up on them. So they are not just good in KY.

6. Had these growing up. Loved them. My grandmother’s recipe was a little different. She used one egg well beaten, one cup of sugar, piece of butter the size of a walnut, and one cup of vinegar added slowly. Cook until it thickens. I found this dressing also works well with a fruit salad.

7. [email protected] says:

I grew up eating Banana Croquettes, but my mamas recipe was different. we use peanut butter and Miracle Whip. i grew up in Willisburg, Kentucky. but i think any recipe would be goooood.

8. Mary Eidson Rose says:

I ‘very eaten theses all my life. My parents were from Barlow, KY & it was made for every occasion! Brings back great memories!

9. Banana Salad is a longtime family tradition for our western KY family. My grandmother always made them for our special holiday meals and now my mother makes them for us and our grandchildren.

10. I was wondering how you cut the bananas. The last comment I read said she cuts them in thirds but your picture doesn’t look like that. What is the best way to cut them?

11. Being raised in south Georgia, I’ve never heard of these either but will certainly be making them soon. Since I have lived in Michigan for the past 40 yrs and very few relatives nearby, everyone thinks my southern foods are “weird”…..till they try them! This reminds me of Pear Salad, which I just recently introduced to my family, that went over really well also 🙂

12. Oh my gosh…my Mom always prepared these for church functions. I loved them so much, I would sneak around the table and get as many as I could manage without getting caught. All I remember as ingredients were bananas, Miracle Whip,and crushed peanuts.

13. I grew up in Ohio and as a child always had these at family reunions. They always used Miracle Whip. Us kids would always be in trouble for sneaking them before we ate!!

14. I think you will find that the famous “Moon Lite Barb-B-Q Inn” in Owensboro, KY always has these on their buffet.

15. I’ve lived in KY all my life and never heard of Banana Croquettes but they sound interesting.

16. allergic to corn products? Just mix a tad of mayo with peanut butter and dip the banana in that. Roll half in coconut, half in peanuts. Insert tooth picks and watch them fly off the plate.

17. Being from South Carolina, I have never heard of this until I saw it on your facebook page, and, of course, shared it on mine 😀 … I had to see the full recipe and it looks delicious! The alternatives that you mentioned sound great to! YUM! thank you for sharing!

18. I’m from Ky. and live in Al. now. London, Ky. actually. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of banana croquettes or salad. Must be a regional thing. It sounds delicious though and I will be trying it! Also I remember the Blue Boar cafeteria. My mother took me to the one in Lexington when I would go with her to buy drygoods for her store. It was always a special day!

• Michtrixie says:

Freda, I’m originally from Marion County in Central Kentucky and actually most of the people I’ve met who know about them are from around this area. I’ve lived in several other states and two foreign countries and never found anyone except Central Kentuckians who knew what they were.

• I grew up in Hart and LaRue Counties, and have lived all over the country (Boulder City, NV is my retirement home). People give me strange looks, when I mention banana croquettes and how they are made, lol. Going to the Blue Boar in Louisville was a real treat when we would visit the “city” relatives.

• Carolyn Bartelson says:

I was born and live in Hart Co. I have never heard of these but I will be saving the recipe and trying them. I will be asking family and Church family if they have ever heard of these. Be a good thing to take to family night at Church, maybe jog some memories.

19. What can I use to replace the cornstarch? I’m allergic to corn products and wheat

• Hi Susann, You can replace cornstarch with all-purpose flour but I am not sure it would work in this recipe. You might try some of the other ways such as rolling them in mayonnaise or peanut butter and then the peanuts. Have a great weekend.

• Martha Till says:

Use a little instant potato instead of cornstarch. Also if you are allergic to nut roll in crushed pretzels

• You may be able to use potato starch or rice flour.

20. Wilma Berryman says:

When my sister & I were small we would go to visit our older sister that lives in Louisville. She would take us down town to the Blue Boar Cafeteria. This is where I had my first taste of banana salad. I thought it was heaven on earth. Started making it at home but haven’t for several years. Now that I’ve seen this I will most certainly be making it again. Thanks for jogging my memory.. 😉

21. Michtrixie says:

Having grown up in Kentucky, I’ve been eating these for over 50 years at various family functions and my family always expects me to make Banana Croquettes for every special occasion. My grandmother and mother made them like you do until my mother started making them by mixing about 1/2 cup mayo (or Miracle Whip) and about 1/4 cup sugar (you can use Splenda instead) until it tastes sweet but still tart and then roll them in crushed peanuts. (This is enough sauce for about 6-7 bananas.) I crush the peanuts in the electric food chopper (I’m lazy!). I made these when I lived in Italy and everyone loved them! Children especially love them (make sure they don’t have peanut allergies). Very few people outside of Kentucky even know what they are and always think they’re some kind of “fried” banana. I’m so happy to see them on your site! Thanks for all your great recipes!

• Linda Crawford says:

I grew up in Washington County, Springfield, Ky. area. My mother used to make Banana Croquettes and Banana Salad.We had them almost every Sunday for lunch. It was my favorite dish on the table. I, too, remember the Blue Boar Cafeterias. If we went to Louisville for any reason, mamma and daddy always took us there for lunch. That was the place to dine. A “MUST PLACE TO EAT” for country folks visiting the city.

22. I have never heard of this and I’m from Alabama! How interesting this is!

23. I saw Banana Croquettes and thought…WOW…someone outside of Kentucky has heard of Banana Croquettes!!! Then I read the comments and had a good laugh! My daughter, from GA, grew up eating her Grandma’s Banana Croquettes and thinks they are wonderful…however, thinks a Peanut Butter, Banana and mayo sandwich is disgusting! Put it on bread and it’s not fit to eat but croquette style is a delight! Gotta love kids. The only way I have ever made them is to cut a banana in thirds, smear some mayo on it and roll it in crushed peanuts. Quick, easy and always a hit no matter where you take them!