Don’t wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty! —Lora Brody

My family loves this pie and we can eat a whole one in no time at all.

1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust,  baked
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
4 tablespoons butter or margarine or 1/2 stick
Bake your pie shell and let it cool before adding the filling.  In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, cocoa, flour, milk, vanilla and eggs.  Cut butter into about three pieces and add to pie liquid. (The butter will melt while cooking). Cook on top of the stove on medium high heat, stirring constantly about 9 to 10 minutes until filling thickens.  Don’t forget to stir because it will burn easily. If I think it is going to burn I move it from the burner for a minute or put it on the edge of the burner.  Once the filling thickens, pour into cooled pie shell and let cool about 10 to 12 minutes before adding meringue.
Meringue for chocolate pie.
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
Beat the egg whites with a mixer until peaks form.  Add the sugar and beat about another minute.  Spread on top of the pie and bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until brown on top.  You can just put the pie under the broiler and brown the meringue that way.  If you put it under the broiler,  watch it carefully because it will burn easily.  I usually brown mine under the broiler but you can do it either way.
Note:  This pie is good without the meringue, too.
You may also like:
Butterscotch Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Savory Chess Pie
Click to follow the Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss new posts when they come out! Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have almost 22,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.

1. I just found your website! I can’t wait to try your recipes!

2. I cooked this on the stove top for almost 20 minutes but it never got thick. I thought it might thicken when it got cool but it was still soupy. After it cooled, I put the meringue on it and put it in the oven. After it cooled again, it was still soupy so I put it in the fridge overnight. It was still very soupy.

I still ate it and it was the best chocolate soup I’ve ever had. I’ll have to try it again. No idea what I did wrong.

3. Does this thicken when cool or cook until thick

4. Patricia Garza says:

This is a perfect Chocolate Pie just like my grandmother use to make for me. It brought back so many good memories. Thanks for sharing.

5. Carol Moore says:

Love your recipe

6. My grandmother use to make this for me. No one makes it this way anymore. They always top it with whipped cream….

7. This is close to the pies I have been making for years. I started making these in my early 20’s and I will be 50 in sept. The difference is only 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of regular milk. 2 tbsp of both flour and cocoa and 3 egg yolks. I don’t put butter in mine but do glaze crust with some egg whites before I bake them. I call them my Aunt Ree’s Cholocate Pies. They go so fast I make two at a time.

8. I made an old fashioned pie like this but think mine calls for 3 TBS of cocoa, 1 cup of sugar and only use three eggs. Think it calls for 2 cups of milk but always use the 12 oz. can and just add enough milk to make 2 cups.

9. I just made this pie for my husband for Valentines. I haven’t cut into it yet, but tasted the filling and I can’t tell you how good…no, great this pie is!!! This is the recipe I’ve been looking for for years. This taste like the old-timey chocolate pie that my grandmother made!! Thank you for the recipe!

10. I’m 81 years old and this is just like my recipe except I use 2 tablespoons sugar for each egg white I have for the meringue. I’m sure they are all good though. I love the meringue but the grandkids hate it. I tell them to just take it off!!! Cool whip is very good on it, too. You won’t believe this, but I don’t like chocolate. Never have but it’s my family’s favorite..

11. how could i make a different flavor ? i love the chocolate ,,but wana try different flavors

• You would have to leave out the chocolate and add coconut for a coconut pie but add it after the pudding had cooked.

• You are not asking me, I don’t think. But my Mom makes banana pudding with this recipe, by omitting the cocoa.

12. my mother used to make chocolate pie and occasionally she would add a cup of coconut to it for something different. Delicious

13. Pingback: Weekly Rays of Sunshine #44 | Recipes and Ramblings with the Tumbleweed Contessa

14. This is a perfect old-fashioned chocolate pie. Many have eaten only a silk version and might think this texture is pasty but it’s a true chocolate pie as made by home cooks for years. Thank you for the recipe and photos.

15. It is just like my mom made when I was a little girl loved it!! now I make it all the time for my family ~ thanks ncgal

16. Johnnie Whitford says:

can you use the whole egg if you dont want meringue

17. Oh my goodness! I just made this. First time ever making a homemade one. It is awesome.

18. Just made your pie! It’s fabulous! I added a little more sugar and some cream of tartar and a dash of vanilla to the meringue! I don’t thnk this pie will last the day! Thanks so much for sharing!

19. Made this last night,, it was awesome!!!!!! and so easy.

20. maybe a silly question but do refrigerate the pie?

21. susie Pennington says:

22. Deb Henderson says:

I made this over the weekend as a treat for my son-in-law. He has fond memories of his Grandmother making chocolate pie. He didn’t really say much, but I did see his eyes roll back and then he went and got a second piece. When my daughter got a piece he reminded her that it was his pie!!! I will say it was sinfully good!!! This will definitely be a church pot-luck item!!

23. i wonder if you could make this and leave out the cocoa and add lemon extract for a lemon pie. im needing a recipe with just the lemon extract like my late mom used to make

24. Can anyone tell me the best way to seperate the white and the yolk of an egg? Thank you in advance.

• Hi Gary, You can buy an egg separator at Walmart or you can crack the egg and pour it back and forth between the two pieces of shell and the yolk will stay in the shell and you can catch the white in a dish or something. This is how I do it.

• Brenda Pierson says:

Carefully through your fingers, thoroughly clean, of course. Move the yolk back toward your palm a little. We also cracked the egg in half and poured it back and forth until the white was gone. You can also buy gadgets.

25. Made this Sunday. OMG – delish! Kids love it, we opted to make it without the meringue. We also used a chocolate graham cracker crust.

26. Marie Crawford says:

I made this over the weekend. Turned out good but I think I will try it with less cocoa. It was a little to chocolatey for me. May go with 2 to 3 T. cocoa next time. Thanks for the recipe!

27. Redneck Mike says:

Looks good enough to eat…\./

28. can’,t wait to try the recipe.sounds delicious

29. It looks great! I have lost forever the recipe that has baker’s chocolate melted with the butter to make this type of pie. Weighed a ton when done but OMG! I will try this one because it looks yummy, but if you or anyone runs across the other recipe, I would so appreciate the help!

• Brenda Pierson says:

I think the one you want is in the old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. It also could be on allrecipes.com. If you don’t find it message me on FB.

30. This is just like my grandmothers recipe but she cooked it in a double boiler which is what I do too. You don’t have to worry about it burning as much.

31. Yum. Looks like what my momma used to make! I haven’t made one in years now.

32. Thanks for the wonderful old-fashioned recipe

33. Judy, I love chocolate pie. I made it but I did something wrong. It taste good but it had a paste texture to it.

• Hi Sherry, I can’t imagine what you could have done to it. Maybe, you cooked it too long. It usually turns out good for me every time. Never has failed once.

• Sherry, maybe you should have added a little more milk. My experience with it being like paste is it just needs a little more milk and cook until the right consistency. Maybe a 1/4 cup more milk.

34. struttinforthechiefs says:

Oh my…does this bring back memories! yummmmmmmm!

35. So this is going to sound dumb, but if you don’t do the meringue, you don’t put it in the oven, right?

36. Judy, I’ve started cooking pudding in the microwave. (I hear a rumble from every great cook in history rolling in their graves!) I mix everything in a large microwavable bowl, and cook on high for two-minute intervals, stirring in between each. It takes about eight minutes, and I love it b/c I’ve not been standing in front of the stove for 20 minutes stirring, stirring, stirring. Give it a try. 🙂

37. I could do without the calf slobbers – but that’s okay, Dad can eat them. 🙂 Brings back some early memories!

38. Love it – It’s an old family fave of ours. Love, Cindy

39. Love it! One of our family faves! Love, Cindy

40. Great chocolate pie recipe. Diet or not, I am cooking this!

41. That looks just like my grandmother’s way of making chocolate pie! (And I love Lora Brody, too.)