PINTO BEAN GUMBO

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Pinto Bean Gumbo - CopyI have been making this dish for years.  If you mention Gumbo to a Southerner we are all about some of it.

1 2/3 cups dry pinto beans
7 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced salt pork
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
2 cups fresh okra, sliced (can use frozen okra)
1 (16 oz. can) diced tomatoes (could use fresh tomatoes)
1 (16 oz. can) whole kernel corn, drained or 1 box frozen corn or about 2 cups fresh corn
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
Rinse beans.  In a 5-quart dutch oven or kettle combine beans and the water.  Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or, soak beans in the water overnight in a covered pan) Do not drain.

Add onion, salt pork, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the bay leaf to the beans and liquid.  Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or till beans are tender.  Add sliced okra, undrained tomatoes, drained corn, worcestershire sauce, the 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, thyme, and bottled hot pepper sauce.  Simmer the mixture 30 minutes or till okra is tender.  Remove bay leaf before serving.  Makes 10 servings.

You can also make this in the crockpot using about three cans Lucks Pinto Beans, leave out the salt pork, and add the other ingredients and cook 4 hrs. on high. Enjoy!

Note: I have made this using fresh vegetables from the garden for the okra, tomatoes and corn. This makes it even better!

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Pinto Beans and Dumplings.
 Don’t Forget to Pin!  pinto-bean-gumbo
attention-new-subscribers

You can “share” with friends by clicking on the Pinterest, Twitter or Facebook buttons below.  Click on the green square below with the picture of a computer to print this recipe.

1. Delores Hicks says:

I am not understanding, if you soak the beans in 7 cups of water over night you do not drain the water, also the crock pot method you said not to add the water so all the vegs are not to be drained, I am sorry I guess I am confused can you explain the crock pot method a little better, Thanks

The recipe says if you want to put them in the crockpot to use canned Luck’s beans. I don’t cook dried beans in my crock pot because it takes them so long to get tender. I would just cook my dried beans on the stove according to package directions and then add the other ingredients like the recipe says. I do not drain the soup off the beans when I cook them on the stove. I don’t make this in the crockpot unless I use canned beans. If you want to cook the beans on the stove and then add everything to the crockpot I guess you could do that but it would be much simpler to just used canned ones in the crockpot. If using the crockpot with canned bought beans, don’t drain them and don’t add extra water unless you feel it is too thick once in the crockpot. If you want it thinner, add some water to make it the consistency you want.

2. Beth Ann Greene says:

Love your recipes, SL. I would like to ask a question about using dried beans in the crockpot in this recipe , if I either soak them overnight or use the quick cook method? Trying to watch the sodium intake….

I don’t think it would make a difference, Beth. If you are watching your sodium intake maybe leave out any salt. I seldom add salt to my beans but if you do, wait until they are done cooking. It will make them tough if you add while cooking.

3. GRANNY NELDA says:

USED TO PURCHASE LUCK’S BEANS AT THE DOLLAR GENERAL HERE IN MY TOWN.BUT THEY NO LONGER CARRY THEM.THEY ARE VERY GOOD CANNED PINTO BEANS.LIKE MOMMY USED TO CAN.I HAVE LOOKED OTHER PLACES BUT HAVE NOT SEEN THEM IN YEARS.WILL TRY THIS REC .MY KIND OF COOKING.THANKS BUNCHES FOR ALL YOU DO WITH REC FOR WE LADIES THAT HAVE TO COOK AND LOVE TO.ALWAYS READY FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

• I use Goya beans when I can’t find Luck’s or don’t have time to cook dried beans. I always rinse the canned beans to reduce the sodium.

• GRANNY NELDA says:

GOT THE SAME PROBLEM WHERE I LIVE BRENDA. I ALWAYS BOUGHT THOSE LUCK’S BEANS. THERE WERE LIKE MOTHER CANNED IN THE SUMMER TIME. I HELP HER SHELL THOSE FRESH PINTO BEANS. THEY NO LONGER HAVE THEM HERE EITHER. YOU ARE THE FIRST I EVER HEARD MENTION THOSE BEANS. I FIXED THEM ONE TIME FOR THE MEN PUTTING A ROOF ON MY HOUSE AND THEY ASK WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE GOOD BEANS. I TOLD THEM AT THE DOLLAR GENERAL STORE.

4. Delores Hicks says:

If can pinto beans are used do you still add the 7 cups of water in crock-pot

5. Fixed the pinto bean gumbo and hoe cakes last week, my grandson and I ate on it for two days. It was better the second day. My husband even ate some and he hates okra but he picked that out and put some hoe cakes in the gumbo and loved it.

6. Patty Kasiewicz says:

My husband just loves your recipes. I havent made one yet that he didn’t like. thanks for posting them. Now I am going to make those fridge pickles for me.

7. I’m all about this too. (I’m not Southern, just a transplant, but that’s close enough right?) Ha.

8. Printing this one for this weeks grocery list!! Thanks!

9. WOW! Husband and I love it. He said I want more gumbo and a lot more fritters. We are from Arkansas – countryfolksl I think your site has some of the best recipes.

10. This pinto bean gumbo rocks! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

11. This looks great! Love the corn fritters, too. That’s my kinda eatin’! 🙂

Glad you stopped by my place. I’m adding you to my blogroll ’cause I don’t want to miss any of your Southern cooking! Hope that’s okay.