Southern chicken and dumplings can’t be beat as the all-time best comfort food in my book. This dish can be made with leftover baked chicken,  bought chicken,  or turkey.  You can also boil a chicken or chicken breasts for the recipe.  My family loves chicken and dumplings and the more dumplings the better we like it!

4 cups chopped chicken or turkey, cooked
1 cup chopped celery
one 10 1/2 oz. can of cream of chicken soup (I use Campbell’s soup and broth)
two 10 1/2 cans of chicken broth
3 of the 10 1/2 cans filled with water
Place the above ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil.  Cover
Pour 2 cups self-rising flour into a large bowl,  cut in 1/4 cup shortening with a pastry blender or fork,  add 3/4 cup boiling water a little at a time until you can shape the mixture into a ball.   Roll out to about 1/8 inch of thickness on a floured board.  Cut into strips, then squares, like in the photo below.  Note:  It is so easy to cut them with a pizza cutter and much quicker and they taste just the same!
Remove lid on pot and add several squares at a time to the boiling broth replacing lid each time for about 30 seconds until you have added all the dumplings.  Once all the dumplings are added lower heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.   If you want drop dumplings, just don’t roll the dough out but pinch off pieces and drop into the broth just like you dropped the flat dumplings.
Don’t Forget to Pin!  Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 26,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.
You can “share” with friends by clicking on the Pinterest, Twitter or Facebook buttons below.  Click on the green square below with the picture of a printer to print this recipe.

1. Hello, dumpling recipe looks great but was wondering, when you pour the boiling water in doesn’t it melt the shortening that you just cut in or is that what the boiling water is supposed to do before rolling.

Thanks, Faye

Yes, you are right Faye. The cutting in just distributes the shortening in the flour and keeps it from being all in one big lump.

2. Rarely do I comment about a recipe, but I have to share. I was always hesitant about making from scratch dumplings. I either got take out Cracker Barrel, or attempted to make them using biscuits, which always swelled more than I cared for. I came across this recipe a couple of years ago, made them several times, and they are perfect! Last night I wanted dumplings, but couldn’t find this recipe in my collection. I got the recipe on the Martha White site (the same one on the Crisco site) that called for chicken broth instead of hot water. Saying they were a mess is being generous–I tossed them out without even trying them. So I searched today until I found this recipe again. I’ll never use another!

Just like Grandma’s.

Thank you so much Janie for this wonderful comment. I am so happy you enjoy the dumplings and could not ask for a better review. Thank you for being a part of the site and I hope you have a great weekend.

• Thank you for the great recipes! I’m signed up for your newsletter, and look forward to receiving the emails. I hope you have/had a great weekend as well.

3. Do NOT try to print this recipe. After 11 pages I checked to see what was printing. I had 11 pages of comments and no recipe.

If you had done what it says at the bottom of every post on this site and clicked on the printer icon below every post you could have deleted any photos you didn’t want and printed only the text of the recipe or saved it to your computer.

4. Christina Wilhelm says:

I don’t buy self-rising flour. How would I make the dumplings with all-purpose flour. I have no idea what to add.

5. Dumpling receipt just like mine’ but my mother taught me to use a pork roast with celery, etc. Instead of chicken it is out of this world good

6. I like to put carrots in mine…cook a little longer in the broth before adding dumplings…sometimes frozen peas, also. I think anytime you can add veggies, you’re better off!

7. Priscilla Pelfrey says:

Growing up in NC, we had mostly drop dumplings, making big fluffy masses. Like a biscuit inside. Nowadays, I still do drop ones, so much quicker for me. I make the dough pretty wet, so little bits break off and make tiny bits of dumplings throughout. That makes a really thick gravy-like liquid. Hey, different folks like different things. I never had the big flat “sled-runner” dumplings until I came to KY. Also, I add more soup, and cans of evaporated milk, and sometimes chicken bouillion. But you do have to watch while they cook, or they will boil over, unless you have a really tall pot.

8. What kind of shortening do you use

9. Did someone already ask how many this might serve? I’m having company and don’t know how many batches to prepare?

10. Hello, can you tell me what kind of shortening to use? I am in the UK and not sure what you mean. butter, oil?

11. I grew up in NC and what you are calling dumplings are in fact pastry, Dumplings are not flat like pastry and are usually what people up north eat.

The dumplings in the recipe are true Southern dumplings. True Southern dumplings are flat. You should do some research and maybe “google” dumplings.

• The dumplings that was described in the recipe is in fact what us true southerners consider dumplings. Not sure why you would call them pastry. To us that means sweet things.

• It must be a North Carolina thing. That’s where I have lived all my life and I have always called them pastry. But whatever they’re called they are tasty and one of my favorites.

12. Willa Palmer says:

I loved my mother’s dumpling, yours are so close to her recipe! Thank You! your recipes are excellent!!!

13. Judy, have you ever heard of blackberry dumplings? My grandma from Flat Lick used to make them with wild blackberries from her farm. I would love to make them but sadly my grandma has passed and never got the recipe.

14. I have all my life made Chicken and Dumplings this way. My husband’s Mother however makes them with the bisquick. Anybody do that? It’s taste ok.

15. I counted approximately 50 dumplings in your photo – do they really all fit in the pot ??

16. When making the dumpling recipe, do you mix water and flour in a bowl, or mix flour and shortening together?

17. Linda Hogan says:

I am going to try this with rabbit instead of turkey or chicken. This sound so much like the one my Father in law made years ago with the rabbits he raised. (tame not wild) Thanks

18. Mine would always stick together.. Why is that??

Did you put the lid back on after adding the dumplings each time. That’s the only reason I can think of that they might stick together.

19. Do you stir the dumplings once you put them in pot, ever?? Or keep adding and closing lid.?

20. Will be trying this recipe soon !! Grew up in the South eating Southern Chicken & Dumplings .

21. Thank you for this recipe. My husband and son both love chicken & dumplings, but only as his mother and grandmother made them. They were shocked at how close this recipe came to hers. Thanks again. I am a hero.

22. Re the easy chicken and dumplings recipe – will the center of the dumplings be the same color as the outside? I’ve made similar dumplings before and the center of my dumpling comes out rather chewy and grayish looking. Tks.

My dumplings are white. I really don’t know what you are talking about M.P. You may be making them too thick or something.

23. Is lard ok to use instead of shortening?

24. This recipe is the best…I have never been able to make dumplings..and didn’t ever like anyone’s dumpling. Always was made with plain flour..just not good..so I tryed this one, using the SR flour. It’s the only recipe, I use now..all others have been torn up and thrown in garbage. Tyvm. For sharing it with ppl like me..I love it. We now have , chicken and dumplings once a wk. yummy

25. Having company Wed. I will be making this….I do not like dumpling made w plain flour.
    Ty for the recipe.

26. How long do you boil the ingredients, before dropping the dumplings in?

27. Fb acting up. My mother in law introduced me to dumplings. She used the dough that she made flour tortillas with. This turned out really good but I’m trying your recipie, I’m sure it’ll be delicious! My husband & kids love chicken’n’ dumplings. Thanks!

28. Will this hold if I make it one day and serve the next?

29. It’s going to be rainy all weekend and the hubby loved chicken n dumplins, looks like I’ll be making this tomorrow!

30. Last step for the 20 minutes..do you cover?

31. I made just a little different but it turned out amazing,tyty

32. you are the best. no matter what i am looking for i seem to find thru you. i got your dumplin recipe. then i went in search of how to make self rising flour with all pourpose flour and bingo found it under tips. thanks so much. keep up the good work. benda

33. I love flat dumplings, will have to try your recipe. Thanks. Tip: I use a pizza cutter to cut my dumplings, you wouldn’t believe how much easier it makes it.

34. My mother also made “chicken and dumplings” with the leftover turkey carcass (sp) after Thanksgiving/Christmas.

35. Tried this also….Great!!

36. Thanks for the awesome recipes, reminds me of living in the south, I’ve been back a few years, and wish I had written some of the recipes down and brought them back with me

37. why here in the south and it’s n.c. do people argue and say it’s chicken and pastry, i didnt grow up on that, i grew up on DUMPLINGS, why??

38. I, too, use self-rising flour and the broth from boiling the chicken.

39. Ginger Williams says:

Just wondering, do you cover the pot once the dumplings are all in or leave the cover off?

40. They look Awesome, I can’t wait to try them, I’ve never been able to fix good chicken and dumplings! I will keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for sharing!

41. Sara welch says:

I make mine almost the same way! I put a lil garlic in my mine

42. This looks like a yummy winter meal! I love soups and stews in the winter.

43. Judy, I enjoyed your recent baking recipes, but there’s nothing like a big pot of Chicken & Dumplings to warm the heart. Thanks for this!

44. I may have to make these soon! oh they look sooooooo good!

45. I love the black pepper on top, sometimes it’s the little things.

46. My hubby would love this! And it doesn’t look too difficult to do….I’m not a very good cook but I love reading recipes!

47. Yum! Yum! Yum! You make it look so easy. This has gotta be a taste treat!!

48. Reminds me of growing up and how the kids LOVED these dumplings. The REAL dumplings. Love the pic of them all cut out. Mine never looked that uniform and perfect. Thanks so much for posting; we are reminded that the REAL recipe still lives.

49. Gonna try this tonight for dinner. Sounds realy good.

50. Crystal Daniels says:

love this recipe, gotta try it as it’s slightly different than the one I grew up with. I use a pizza cutter to cut my dumplings, it’s fast & easy!!