Deviled eggs - CopyDeviled eggs have always been a favorite with my family.  We love them on holidays, for family gatherings, picnics, and just as a side dish for any meal.

6 eggs, boiled and peeled
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons  mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Paprika (To sprinkle on top)
Contrary to what many people say, I think adding the eggs to boiling, salted water, makes them easier to peel. Always have eggs at room temperature before boiling!  Bring salted water (add about 1 tablespoon salt to water before boiling)  to a boil and add eggs. I use a soup ladle to lower the uncooked eggs gently into the boiling water. Boil eggs on medium heat and boil one minute per egg.  A dozen eggs takes twelve minutes boiling time.  Remove pot from stove and put under running cold water. Peel immediately holding the egg under the cold water for smooth, peeled eggs.
Once peeled, slice the eggs lengthwise and scoop out the center yolks.  In a bowl combine egg yolks with ingredients and mash with a fork.  Spoon filling into halves.  Sprinkle eggs with paprika.  Enjoy!
Note: I have used honey mustard in deviled eggs, too. It’s good.
Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Jeanie Toney says:

After boiling the eggs pour off the hot water and shake the pot really good when you add cold water you will find the peelings have fallen off..I have been doing this for years..

2. Tracy Millhouse says:

Just saw recently if you add half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water, eggs will peel easier. Will try this time. Also, my southern mother taught me her recipe. We always add sugar, so they are a bit sweeter.

3. Lisa Jackson says:

Yes, that’s how my mother made them…so delicious.

4. Debbye Stewart says:

Everybody has their own way of making deviled eggs. I am from the South too, and simple is better. lol Just boil the eggs for 12 minutes…then pure off the boiling water and replace with cold water in the pot. Only crack the small end of the egg…..then the rest of the shell should peel right off (unless they are very fresh eggs)….then you may have trouble. I cut them in half, scoop out the yolk into a bowl and only use Hellmanns Mayo, a little yellow mustard, salt & pepper. That’s it….Plain, Simple and Soooo Good!

5. An easy way to put the filling back in the egg is to put the filling in a ziplock bag and cut the bottom corner off. Now you have a pouch and you can fill with no mess.

6. I like and use sw. pickle relish in my deviled eggs. My best tips are: use older eggs, place room temp. eggs into salted water and bring them to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let set 7-12 minutes depending upon the # of eggs. Rinse with cold water and then let them set in water with ice for several minutes. I’ve prefer using a pastry blender over a fork to mash the yolks.

7. Thank you so much for your boiling eggs tip. I just boiled a dozen eggs and they all peeled perfectly. You might say they almost peeled themselves. LOL!! Now I will finally have perfect pickled eggs. I’m rather new to your site and I love it. Thank you for offering all of your recipes.

8. Love Deviled Eggs, and this is pretty much how my late mom and mawmaw made theirs…simple and delicious. They’ll certainly be on my Easter table this weekend. Happy Easter to you! 🙂

9. I always use dill pickles, and when I seen they used sweet I was going to ask my husband if he would prefer the.

10. Heather Pemburn Snively says:

If you are overcooking your HB eggs they will have a gray-green halo around the yolk. Just a thin line usually, not a gross mess.

11. My recipe almost. I’ve never added sugar. I’ts a big hit at my house because they are sooo good! I agree on the Dukes Mayo, anytime! I love seeing the post of yours, you do a great job. Thanks:)

12. My mom always hardboiled an extra egg for every half dozen eggs. She used the extra yolk to make sure there was plenty of filling for the eggs. The only difference in what I learned to do is that we skip the pickle.

13. Glen, We sometimes have a hard time finding Duke’s Mayo in Ky. Hellman’s is used by a lot of people around here. I have tried them both ways and cannot see a big difference myself. I guess it’s whatever you are used to.

14. The easiest and best way I have found to boil eggs that peel great is:
    at least week old eggs, place eggs in water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. leave them until cooled down to touch, add ICE to water. crack eggs place back in the water. peel, under cold running water if necessary. works flawlessly, almost every time.

15. I didn’t know it was National Deviled Egg day, something to do with Halloween maybe?? As in, “those little devils that egged my house on Hallowe’en” or “didn’t need to throw all those eggs on Halloween so I’d better make some yummy deviled egg:)” This looks delicious, as always!

• I saw that this was national deviled egg day earlier and I had to re read what I was seeing. Who knew?

I forgot to send cards for this wonderful day. Dang it! My bad.

Thanks again for the wonderful recipe. 🙂

16. Ahhh, that’s the timing trick, to have the water at a rolling boil. Will try the room temperature trick (I’m so afraid the eggs will crack) and use a ladle to lower them into the water. Will do 6 and will let you know my results.

17. Thanks so much for the advice to have PERFECT hard boiled eggs. I have issues with peeling mine 🙂

18. Margaret Cloud says:

I never thought to let the egg get at room temperature, you always have such good tips. Thank you for coming by. Have a nice Easter.

19. I like this recipe because it’s nice and simple, which I think deviled eggs should be. Great tip on the salt, I’ve never tried that. I do the cold water trick too. Just makes it neater. I still manage to mangle at least one, but nothing wrong with a little snack while you cook.

20. Great tips! Love the recipe too! Great job as usual 🙂

21. Finally! Someone who makes deviled eggs like I do!! My husband puts VINEGAR in his. *Blechhh* I’m wondering about the room temperature egg tip, too.

22. That’s a good tip about letting the eggs come to room temperature before boiling. Does that help them peel easier? I am horrible at peeling boiled eggs. I do add salt to the water but I’ve never tried room temperaure eggs – thank you!