My family loves this casserole.  It is quick and easy to make and is comfort food at its best.

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
2 cups macaroni, uncooked
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated or shredded
Brown meat and onion with garlic until tender in skillet on top of stove.  Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.  Drain hamburger mixture and stir in soup, milk, seasonings, and mushrooms.  Layer half of hamburger, macaroni and cheese in a 2 quart casserole. Repeat with meat and macaroni.  Save last half of cheese.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. I made this tonight. Very good and simple!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing!

• I tried this tonight also and it was fabulous, minus the mushrooms, which my family won’t eat. I used cheddar cheese inside and cheddar and mozzarella cheese on the top. I also served it with french green beans and buttered toast…..My family said it was a 10.

2. My mother made this casserole and I have continued with this recipe. We use egg noodles, green pepper, and cubed velveeta in the casserole and cheddar on top. I also just mix everything together instead of layering.

3. Melissa D. SC says:

Hi there, I have all the ingredients to make this tonight for dinner except the cheese…..I have cream cheese, swiss and mozzarella, would one of those be a better substitute than the others to make this dish? Thank you for helping me out on such short notice.

4. This a great dinner idea we all, love it in, my family.

5. Diana Moore says:

Gotta try this today it looks so good!

6. Made this tonight for dinner. Hubs and 3 teenage boys all gave it a thumbs up. I made a few changes based on what I had on hand. Very versatile recipe. Will definitely make it again.

7. Looks delicious. Do u use “uncooked” macaroni??

8. Gail Hensley says:

Can I use cream of broccoli instead of mushroom? My family dose joy like them,

9. debbie b-----Chi Town says:

can I freeze after heat and eat a few days later

10. We’re having this tonight for dinner. Yum

11. This is very good.I have made this for years but I add a can of Rotel tomatoes too!!

12. Just made this last week! Family loved it. Next time we’re going to add either some shredded carrots or zucchini to hide some veggies! Delicious!

13. harry sommers says:

I was just wondering, could i substitute potatos for the macaroni. My family doesnt really like pasta.

14. Gaylene Weil says:

I made this tonight, and The Hubby loved it (with salsa of course). He even had seconds, and he never does that unless he really likes something. This one is going in my keeper book! Thanks!

15. Marla Littlefield says:

This is delicious! Made it last night for dinner, along with apple cake(your recipe). YUM! Will definitely make this again!!

16. Just made this last night and YUM! I will definitely be making this again.

17. Definitely going to try this. Guess I WILL add both tomatoes and celery as we all enjoy them. Also can’t have too much cheese if you know what I
    mean! Lol

18. I’m going to try this today! Thanks for sharing!