These muffins taste a lot like a cinnamon donut and are great with coffee. We love them for breakfast and my 6-year-old grandson, Tater Tot, loves them anytime!

1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine or 12 tablespoons or 3/4 cup,  softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
Using mixer, cream the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and continue mixing.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.  Spray a 12 cup muffin pan and fill each cup 3/4 full.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 35 minutes or until browned.  Remove and let cool.
 Dip for Muffins
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
You will need two bowls for dipping.  Melt the butter in one bowl and mix the cinnamon and sugar in the other bowl.  When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip in butter and then in cinnamon mixture. Enjoy!
Be sure and Pin this recipe to Pinterest for later!
 Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Can I replace the sugar with Splenda as my husband is a diabetic?

2. do these freeze well

3. Do you use liquid or powder butter

I always use liquid buttermilk.

• I made these a few nights ago and used the powdered buttermilk. They came out awesome! OMG are these good! Thank you for the recipe I’m afraid to make them again as they were all gone in two days by just my husband and myself! Absolutely delicious!

4. Can you replace the egg for anything? My son is allergic.

5. Mary Rose says:

It said one stick of BUTTER …. What the measurement is that?

6. can you still make these if you don’t have buttermilk?

Yes, you can or you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice to just under 1 cup of milk then add milk to make one cup. Let stand 5 minutes and use in place of buttermilk.

7. Patricia Meadows says:

Just made these Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins. They are great! love cinnamon doughnuts and these did not disappoint.I hope the elderly couple I made these for love them as much as I do. I can see making these often. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

8. April 30,,2014. I am definitely going to try these today. Thank you for the receipe . AJ. Lake Elsinore, Ca.

9. Just saw this post from a friend and it sounds so good! Will definitely make these!! 🙂

10. I made these into mini muffins. I got 38 mini muffins with this recipe. Our family LOVES this recipe! Thank You!

11. I’m going to try these with chocolate frosting on top

12. Can’t wait to try these, I want to try them in my donut pan. Thanks for sharing

13. I did not have any nutmeg, so I used 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I also added 1 tsp of vanilla to the batter. For buttermilk, I used the 1 tsp of vinegar to milk trick. These were YUMMO!

14. Made these this afternoon in miniture, added an apple butter filling and a tart cream cheese frosting. perfect little dessert with coffee

15. vanessa green says:

do u have to use all purpose flour or can u use self rising???????

16. I am sure these would be wonderful and plan to make them over the holidays.

17. What can I use in place of buttermilk?
    That’s not something I have on hand.

18. These are so light & fluffy – I cooked them only 30 min and found that in my pans I could make 18 instead of 12. Can’t wait to make them again!!!!

19. Made these today. Wonderful! Thanks

20. How about putting some cinnamon in the batter? Do you think that would be good or take away the donut taste??

I think it would be good Jessica but I am a cinnamon lover and can eat it out of the box. lol. I often add cinnamon to dough so I don’t think it could hurt it one bit.

21. Made these this morning. Very very good!

22. Wanda F. Grubbs Alexander says:

I betting they are good,I’ll have to try when My 8 year old grand-daughter come some weekend …She loves to help cook or bake.And I’m loving every minute of it….We love all your recipes!! keep up with tne great stuff that you do…..Thank You MS Judy>>>>>>

23. Would this work with mashed banana added?

24. Well, I’ll be darned. I was just contemplating making muffins to put in a container a friend used to bring me some chicken-vegetable soup. As my mama told me,” you always return the dish with something in it.” Since I have “a banana and a apple ” on the counter, why not put them in, grating the apple for a change.(I get carried away sometimes) Maybe I could jazz them up a little with cinnamon and sugar by shaking them up a bit in a bag, but I’ll have to use some butter to make it stick. Think I’ll check the computer. Bingo! Maybe make some mini muffins to sprinkle in. Got my work cut out for me. Thank you!

25. How many grams in a stick of butter?? In Australia we measure in grams. Thank you

26. I love your grandson’s nickname. I also love these muffins. Since I worked at a bakery ages ago in high school I lost my taste for donuts! These are the perfect replacement.