Macaroni and cheese is a great side dish for any meal.  Your family will love the richness of this easy recipe for this old favorite.

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup velveeta cheese or 8 ounces cut into pieces(If you don’t like velveeta, just add 3 cups cheddar instead of 2)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.  Add butter and cheeses to macaroni and mix well  Beat egg,  milk, sour cream,  pepper and salt together with a wire whisk.  Add to macaroni and cheese.  Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add macaroni.  Cook covered with foil in a 350 degree preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.   This makes about six servings.  You can double the recipe if needed.  Enjoy!
Try serving with my family’s favorite Salmon Patties  for a hearty, delicious meal.

1. I just found your site and I’m loving it! So many great recipes. I have a question, why do you need egg in the mac & cheese? What if I left it out?

Thank you Georgia! Happy to have you on the site and hope you enjoy the recipes It would probably be ok to leave it out. It just helps to hold it together.

• Berlena Staton says:

I plan to make macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving, and I’ve made it before melting the cheese on top of the stove with butter, milk and flour and add to the macaroni. When I searched for your recipe, it’s the way my mom used to make it with the eggs and milk. My mom didn’t put as much cheese, but I am looking forward to making it for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I’ve made so many dishes using your recipe.

2. I have made many a recipe of Mac n Cheese over the years, never found one that we are crazy about. Until this one. I have made this many times, and I thank you!! My husband LOVES this! Only thing I change is I use Black Diamond spread (sharp) instead of Velveeta (only because Velveeta is like buying Gold around here. But I have made it with Velveeta twice and it is wonderful. I have tried many of your recipes and they all turn out marvelous and tasty! This site is my GO TO site for anything for a family get together or dinner party when I want to WOW my guests. Thank you again!

Hi Gina, Thank you so much for your kind comment and am so happy you enjoy the recipes. It is people like you that make it all worthwhile to keep this site going. Thank you for letting me know. Have a wonderful weekend and happy to have you on the site.

3. Beverly Stallings says:

If I double the recipe, what size pan & how long do I cook it?

4. I am a mac ‘n cheese aficionado and i am always looking for a good mac ‘n cheese recipe. I made this today and I am throwing out all my other recipes for this dish. Some assembly required but didn’t have to make cream sauce. I used penne and pepper jack. I am going to add lobster and serve at Thanksgiving!

5. Love love this Mac and Cheese!! It’s the best Mac and Cheese ever. I play with the adding different cheeses. It’s for sure my families favorite!!!

6. Is there a substitute for the evaporated milk? I never have it, and never think to buy any.

7. This recipe is delish!!!!!

8. can this be made with out the sour cream and if yes what would you sub with ? thanks

I only make it like the recipe, Paula.

• I would use plain Greek yogurt – I use it in tuna salad ,anything that calls for a mayonnaise or sour cream base – nobody can tell the difference and don’t tell either !!

• Theresa J-J says:

You can try a Gouda, Swiss, Muenster, cheddar combo. a little Velveeta does not hurt nor some cream cheese. I only cook with butter and don’t use a egg in mine. I have also for a little bite added pepper jack cheese.

9. Glenn Manning says:

Could this me made in individual serving size and frozen to be cooked later? Since I live alone, I normally try to cook once and eat many.

10. [email protected] says:

I have tweeked this a little by doubling & adding more of the same ingredients and my family LOVES it especially my granddaughter. I make a big pan about once a week now. Soooooo good !!!!

11. I have been making mac ‘n cheese for many years. Followed this recipe last month and now my family asks for it a couple of times a week. I think your recipe has now become my “signature dish!”

12. I made this for Christmas Day dinner and it was wonderful! My 12 year old son ate 4 helpings!! Thanks so much for the recipe.

13. Is the 1 1/2 cups of macaroni before or after it is cooked?

14. I would like to know what size casserole dish for the double recipe, would a 9X13 size work? Thanks!

15. i have a question for you lovely ladies.i was looking at the recipe for sweet potatoe cake,and the recipe called for all purpose flour,now,if i use cake flour,i would have to omit the baking soda,and baking powder right?cause i have used a recipe using cake flour,but it also stated to use,darn,i’m not sure now.can’t remember if it was baking soda,or powder.anywho,just wanted to make sure b4 i use cake flour,and the baking soda,and powder.

16. Yummy! I make mine like Mother did. Lots of butter, shredded cheese and milk, plus garlic salt and pepper.

17. I am going to try this with Gruyere cheese instead of the Velveeta…Yummy!

18. S. Kennedy says:

This is probably a silly question, but when you say carnation milk are you talking about evaporated milk or just plain milk