We Southerners love fried potatoes.  My twin daughters can’t get enough of their Southern Mamma’s fried potatoes.  We can eat them for three meals a day and love them for breakfast.

10 medium potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced. (I always fry a lot because we like them leftover. You can cut down on the amount of the potatoes)
3/4 to 1 cup oil (I use Canola)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
salt and pepper  (I like a lot of pepper and not much salt)
2 to 3 tablespoons bacon grease (optional)
Have your grease and oil hot.  Add potatoes, onion,  garlic, pepper.  Fry uncovered for about 45 minutes turning down stove after potatoes have browned and cooking until done.   Remove from stove, add salt. Makes about 8 to 10 servings.   Enjoy!
Note: You can also add green peppers and any kind of meat like ham or smoked sausage to this recipe.   Fried potatoes are good leftover and reheated.  If you have never had cold fried potatoes on a biscuit with mustard, try it, you’ll probably like it!
You might also like my recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits!
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. I enjoy reading the memories of the folks that respond to your recipes almost as much as the recipes themselves I grew up in “Lapland” My Dad said it was where KY lapped over into IN. I too grew up with a wood burning stove in the kitchen and some of the meals that came out of there are beyond heavenly.

2. what I do sometimes that cuts down on the time of cooking, is I already dice them and boil them til tender, you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they do not go to much. then drain and the next morning just get the oil ready and cok lower temp and resist turning so much… delicious…

3. I always use a lid at the beginning. Helps the potatoes cook faster since you are cooking from raw.

4. Phyllis Belangia says:

I love these potatoes. I remember my mom cooking these along with a big bowl of long cooking rice with lots of butter , salt and pepper. Then we would have sausage or bacon and chocolate gravy. Yes that gravy is for more than just biscuits. People squawk today because of the starches and carbs but my grandmas was 96 and my mom 86 when they passed away and my dad is going on 91. They worked hard in the fields and this just good comfort food. I’ve seen my grandma many times eat salt out of her hand and butter on her finger. Awwww such great memories southern Lady. Thank you!

5. Do you flip to brown on each side?

6. Everyone is talking about how their fried potatoes aren’t as good as their Mom’s or Dad’s or Grandma’s, and I’m just gonna say it, mine are better than my mother’s!

7. Billie Jean says:

I live in Kentucky and have for most of my life! I love all of your recipes and some of them are just like mine! I started cooking at 8 years old, right beside my Momma! We cooked on the old coal stove and even though it put out a lot of heat in the summer, the fried potatoes, soup beans, saur kraut and corn bread had a special taste. There’s nothing like a Southern cook! I really enjoy your recipes every day!

8. Also use a cast iron skillet if you have one.

9. jean edwards. says:

I loved these potatoes as a kid. My mother always made a big pot of red beans with bacon and a pan of cornbread. Add sliced tomatoes, sliced onions and maybe a pickle. Yum.

10. I love cold fried potatoes on a slice of bread with catsup

11. Love These, I grew up on them, reminds me of My Sweet Mama, she use to fry them up in a cast iron skillet..! 🙂

12. I live in the north and we grew up on fried potatos with a fried egg cooked just so the yolk drizzles down all over the potatos love it

13. I remember my Mama’s fried potatoes done in an iron fry pan which I now own. Funny that pan doesn’t turn them out as good as Mama’s. I am from North Carolina and was raised on Dukes Mayo. As far as I am concern mayo doesn’t come any better than Dukes. A dish I always served fried potatoes was can tomatoes ( or chopped up fresh tomatoes) with diced wieners, chopped onions and okra seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper and worstershire sauce. Combine all in a fry pan with bacon grease or oil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or more. This makes me hungry.

14. I can tell all of these families are from the south! It makes fun, familiar, memories come to mind. There is nothing more heart warming than Grandma, Dad or Mother’s home cooking! Who doesn’t like fried or oven baked potatoes. I am so limited to the amount of carbs I can have due to diabetes. I could sit down with any of you and enjoy every minute of these meals! I crave potatoes, biscuits and gravy! My guilty pleasure! Love your recipes and all the comments!

15. I love fried potatoes! I just came home to the south and I am so so happy to have found your blog and wonderful recipes that remind me of my childhood with all the family-my grandparents being the center that held us close together. Thank you. 🙂

16. Ten potatoes? Really? How many people does this feed? Can you please reduce the recipe to one that is suitable for a couple of empty nesters? Thanks! 🙂

• I make this for 6 people for breakfast. You can reduce to suit your needs.

• Cindy Simon says:

I could have really done more than 10 pounds for my husband and three sons..LOL When they left just me and my husband I did 5 lbs so we could eat on them a while..They didn’t last long..

• My husband and I are also empty nesters and I just made this recipe, which by the way was delicious and reminded me of my moms and grandmas fried potatoes. I sliced up three potatoes and after they fry up they will break down some. This was plenty for me and my husband with no leftovers.

17. This is the only way to enjoy fried potatoes .I makeem this way .. When my children was young this was the only way they would eat them,,Today they wait for mama to make them for them and I love it..Thank Yor for the sharing…

18. thats how i fry mine except the garlic

• Brenda from SC says:

When I was a kid, my Daddy used to fry them up in an iron skillet. Lots of salt and pepper was all he used for seasoning. They would have some parts that were cooked kind of browned up and crunchy…..they sure were yummy. I cook them sometimes now, they’re good but they aren’t dad’s, lol

19. Duke’s Mayo is the best thing I ever had I swore by Hellman’s til my son in law introduced me to Dukes I must try the corn salad I love this site it has so much good food on it I love the Southern Lady cooks. I love to cook glad to see someone else who loves Dukes. I get 10-12 jars every time they come up to IL from TN.

• Rita, don’t know how close you live to St Louis…but I’ve been able to get Duke’s at Schnuck’s Markets here. You’re right…beats Hellman’s hands-down!

• Clerinda Vincent says:

never heard of it here in Ohio, im a hellmans girl also but i would like to try dukes reading all these replies about it

20. I just got a bodacious bunch of collards at Ingles, and this potatoe recipe will round it out for me tomorrow. Pone of cornbread, and maybe even some salmon patties. Whew, don’t you just love good ole home cooking?

Bill Clay

21. brenda from SC says:

When I was a kid my dad would make fried potatoes for breakfast on the weekends. My favorite part was the browned crusty parts that were almost burned, lol. I love to make them now, and they are good, but were better when Dad made them. I think it’s because there was a lot of love cooked in with those taters. Lots of pepper is the key too. I remember him cooking breakfast on the weekends and having almost every dish in the kitchen dirty, lol. always made me chuckle.

• Hi Brenda, Such great memories of your dad. I am sure my children will remember by country breakfasts as well because they are a favorite thing when they come home. Mine would rather have breakfast than Thanksgiving dinner I think! Have a great weekend and thanks for being a part of my site.

22. I had mine yesterday morning with corn bread. It was really good, I almost ate too much!

23. I cook this for my grandsons all the time, a great addition to any meal. thanks for posting.

24. Leigh is right, these are the stuff dreams are made of. The two best meals they go with are “The Full Breakfast” and “Soup Bean Supper” (soup beans, fried taters, cornbread, salmon patties, kraut and weinies,and some kind of homemade relish). Now I’m hungry……. 😉

• Aw…this post reminds me of those special moments having dinner with my Mom. She made the best Country Fried Potatoes (and the best soup beans and corn bread)! I wish I would of spent more time paying attention to how she cooked and the ingredients she used.

25. runbikeride says:

I LOVE these potatoes!! Best food in the world!!

26. I love Leigh’s comment. I think I’d have sweet dreams about these, too, Judy. They look so good. By the way, I’m like you—I like lots of black pepper (and the garlic, too, of course). I think using a lot of the pepper enables you to use less salt.

Thank you for your kind comment, Judy—I really appreciate it. Since I’d quit my blog, I was surprised (but very, very grateful) to get comments.

27. runbikeride says:

Best potatoes in the entire world!!! I have dreams about them!

Love you Mom!