This is a quick and easy pudding dish to round out a meal and so simple to prepare.

2 cups instant white rice prepared according to directions on box
1 (4-1/2 cup serving) box of instant vanilla pudding and pie filling prepared according to directions on box.
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Prepare rice and set aside. Prepare pudding according to directions. In a large bowl mix the rice and pudding together. Add raisins and nutmeg. Let cool in refrigerator for about 4 hours. Serve cold.

I like this as a dessert or just an in-between-meal snack!

Check out my Creamy Pineapple Rice Pudding, too.

Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. My hubby loves rice pudding so I will certainly give this a try!

2. My husband doesn’t like nutmeg can l use cinn. Instead

3. Lisa Arredondo Robinson says:

I love this site, but I have a question, can not have know milk or cream when call in a recipe,
    what can I use, need help…. Lisa Arredondo Robinson, Thank you.

Have you tried coconut milk? Maybe you could use that or almond milk. I use almond milk on my cereal all the time. It does not taste bad either and keeps a lot longer than regular milk. I have never tried it in this recipe but my girls cook with it, too.

4. toomanygrandkids says:

I just found this site last nite. Can’t believe I hadn’t stumbled upon your recipes sooner. I will definitely try preparing some of your recipes b/c not only do they look delicious, but easy also. Especially this rice pudding. I won’t be adding the raisins b/c I’m not too fond of them. Usually I see rice pudding recipes where the dish is baked in the oven for X amount of minutes, so this one is a heck of a short cut. Thanx.

5. mable bowling says:

My Mother made a rice pudding from left over rice she added milk,eggs,sugar and nutmeg and poured it in a buttered pryex dish and put a marangue on top and toasted it. wish I could find the recipe I never got it from mom before she passed away.MISSED

6. Joanne Woodin says:

This not only looks yummy,but is so easy to fix,even as a last minute treat,thank you

7. Love it and remember my Grandmother’s Rice Pudding! I often have regular Long grain rice left over after a meal. How much of this cooked rice would I use in this recipe? Thanks!

8. The recipe I was raised with is a bit different..
    Rice Pudding
    use left over 2 c. rice, add 1 to 1 1/2 c. of canned milk, 1 egg, 1/2 c. sugar, tsp. vanilla, 1 c. raisins. Mix well and sprinkled with cinnamon and bake for 30 min. @ 350 deg., or until top is pretty and brown. (you’re not only cooking the flavors together, but you are cooking the egg that you added) Best if served warm.
    I always looked forward to my mother cooking too much rice for dinner, because I knew I was soon to have Rice Pudding!

9. I love all your recipes! soo good.

10. Lise Belair says:

I have been looking for a very long time for the rice pudding that I ate long time ago and it had a hot melt caramel on top of it.Would anyone have that receipt with caramel topping

12. Thanks for posting this again. I have been looking for this recipe. I used Cinnamon in place of the Nutmeg (just because we like cinnamon), and because we’re all adults in this house, I plumped my raisins in Spiced Rum. This is awesome!!!

13. Been doing this recipe too but “plump”raisins in little vanilla in microwave and drain before adding.

• This sounds so good. I like the raisins plump also. How do I do this exactly?
      Thanks 🙂

You can soak them in water for a few minutes before adding to the recipe or you can use rum, bourbon, and type of liquid you want to flavor them with.

14. Barbara Corfield says:

Well, I have this great recipe for Rice Pudding though it comes from India.. And it out of this world Good. But, I will give this a whirl.. And I will use golden raisins…And Cardamom… to give it that really wonderful taste..

15. Yummy! We love rice pudding at my house but it takes so long to make. Thanks for sharing!

• Barbara Dunham says:

I have a recipe that I bake in the winter – its comfort food – however, I plan on giving this a try.